Street music day (translation from Lithuanian – Gatvės muzikos diena, for short – GMD) – traditionally organized on the third Saturday of May is the day when professional musicians and amateurs come out to perform in Vilnius streets, courtyards and squares. They play rock, classical, jazz, avant-garde, folklore, African rhythms, perform various music related performances with various musical instruments (even heaters). Other movements of street art are joining the music. The Street music day team has a big dream about making it the celebration of music, street culture, community and freedom of creativity.
It all started in 2007, when a singer and creator of Street music day Andrius Mamontovas emailed to musicians from Vilnius asking flock the streets and play music. Since then, roughly 5000 participants join Street music day every year. Traditionally, every Street music day is finished with “Drum2gether” – percussion parade and improvisation open to all.
Street music day spread across communities of Lithuanians in foreign countries – celebration was organized in Copenhagen, Sicily, Paris, Punsk, Los Angeles, Tallinn, York, Nottingham, Barnsley, Connecticut, Bergen, Innsbruck, London.
Street music day spread abroad and is independently organized in Riga, Minsk, Tbilisi, Dublin. Armenia, Georgia, Netherlands, Norway, Belgium, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia and Latvia.
Want to be part of Street music day? Become an intern or a volunteer! Write: email@example.com
Want to organize the Street music day in your city? We will help you! Write: firstname.lastname@example.org
- During registration the participant indicates the necessary data and confirms that everything stated therein is true and correct. The participant confirms that the information indicated by him does not violate the legislation of the Republic of Lithuania and that he is liable for it.
- During registration the participant agrees that a part of the registration data (name of the group/performer, description, picture, city, street, and the time of performance) will be published on the website so that the visitors were able to
have a free access to all the data provided and are able to view it. The phone number and e-mail address indicated during registration will not be available for public use.
- During registration the participant has the right and possibility to correct data on this website, to change and to supplement and to cancel the
registered place/time of show. However, there is no possibility to change the picture or group description after registering.
- Organizers retain discretion to decide on the correctness and accuracy of the data indicated by the participant during registration. In addition to that, organizers have the right to refuse to confirm the user’s registration and/or to change the information indicated in the description during registration if it is determined that it does not comply with the legislation of the Republic of Lithuania.
- During registration the participant can choose the place, time and repertoire of music played and confirms that no payment or consideration is received for the participation.
- During registration the participant confirms that he is aware of the fact that all commercial advertising during the event must be coordinated with the organizers before the it starts. Otherwise he may be withdrawn from the festival.
- The participant must take care of the power supply for his instruments or sounding equipment. The event organizers do not have the possibility to provide that. Electricity can be arranged with local cafes, restaurants or shops nearby. The participant confirms that he will not play electronic instruments or means in the places where only acoustic music is allowed. Should the electricity be used on streets marked as 'acoustic', the organizers leave the right to move the person to another location.